Friday, February 16, 2018

I Love Daanbantayan

       It was just last September 6, 2017 when I arrived at Daanbantayan,Cebu, a place so foreign to me. Many questions were bothering me since it was my first time to be away from home. What will happen to me in this distant land? What will my life be without my family? How will I work with people I don’t know so well? Will I be happy working here and living alone? These are the questions whose answers were all unknown. 
      
        I learned to love Daanbantayan after my six months stay in this place working and living alone. The people and the place turned out to be a heaven for me. They are so hospitable, kind-hearted and worth loving. I learned to love the people around me and so with my job coupled with a dignified office created for me. The warm welcome they all had for me last September was even made warmer.
       Daanbantayan is a 1st municipal income class municipality in the province of Cebu, Philippines which is located at the northern tip of Cebu island. It is 128 kilometers away from Cebu City with about 3-4 hours travel time. It has a total land area of 10,455 hectares with 20 barangays (2 island, 13 coastal and 5 inland) namely Aguho, Bagay, Bakhawan, Bateria, Bitoon, Calape, Carnaza, Dalingding, Lanao, Logon, Malbago, Malingin, Maya, Pajo, Paypay, Poblacion, Talisay, Tapilon, Tinubdan and Tominjao.
       Daanbantayan celebrates its annual fiesta along with the Haladaya Festival which starts 21 August and ends with street-dancing on 30 August in honor of Datu Daya, the legendary founder of the town. The name Daanbantayan was derived from two words: the word "daan" which means "old" in Cebuano, and the word "bantayan" which refers to a place that served as a look out for Moro raiders during the Pre-Hispanic Philippines
      Daanbantayan is now known for its pristine, white powder-like sandy beaches – one of which is Malapascua Island. With its vast and rich marine resources, it hosts a long string of dive sites offering unique marine life and beauty. It has also an old church which was built during the Spanish times. It is made of brick stones and it still in a very good condition although there are interior portions that have already been renovated and the original design was already changed. But the façade is still intact and in its original design. 

      This beautiful, peaceful municipality remains strong despite the past typhoon Yolanda that tested its people and made Daanbantayan even more prominent among local and foreign visitors including myself. So why not explore and discover what made me love the place called Daanbantayan.

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes it is worth visiting.... You are cordially invited dear friend DEZMOND. Follow my blog too. I already did to Hollywood Spy.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Mary Ann! What a brave soul you are! It is hard to make a move like that.

    Sounds like you made the best of it!

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes dear friend Toni and I learned to love the place now.... Thanks for commenting. Please follow my blog. I did already to Wandering and wondering.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes dear friend BW Bandy. Thanks for commenting. Keep coming back and follow my blog. I already did to Everybody Has To Be Somewhere.

      Delete
  4. I admire your courage in moving to another country as you did. It sounds like you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear friend Marie but I have no choice. I have to make the most of it. It's not in another country. Daanbantayan is still in the Philippines but very far away from home. Please don't forget to follow my blog and add me to your blog list. I already did to Island Musings.

      Delete